Saturday, February 03, 2007

In a bloody big nutshell

(warning - link heavy post ahead)

I have had a week.

Work. Let's just get that out of the way. I don't like to gripe on my blog much so I will give you the very short, short version. Last week I began a part-time medical leave. I have been called in repeatedly to work while sick since then. My employer is being quite difficult. End result: A meeting with my Union Rep and then a meeting with my Union Rep, Manager and HR lady. Ugly. Ugly. Stressfull. And we all know how much stress helps you get better when you are ill.

Plus we are working with the Ministry to protect a child who may soon be apprehended. Heavy, heavy stuff.

Now for after work: I have been on a theatre binge this week!

1st I saw Blood Diamond. Whoa. Intense. Unbelievably well acted. Djimon Hounsou is utterly shattering in his role. DiCaprio is superb. Quite a violent and terrifying movie -- then again, I could be more sensitive because of my stress level -- I was torn about going. I actually thought I was going to have to leave. I regretted my choice in movie during the 1st scene. I have to say though that I am glad I stayed. It is an incredible film. And I have never felt better that I have no diamond on my hand!

Oh wait - I nearly forgot - ummm aside from DiCaprio finally looking like a man in a movie (doesn't he have a babyface?) the very delicious Arnold Vosloo had a feature role. Thank you!


Last night I saw Babel. Now that movie is one of the best I have seen in I don't know how long. Thoroughly riveting. I cannot recall ever speaking to the screen in a theatre before! Seriously. I was talking to (whispering - I tried people!) and gesturing at the actors. Visceral film. I do have to say that I was warned not to see it by 2 of my cousins and their warning actually made the film easier on me - I kept thinking much worse things were going to befall the people than did.

{Incidentally the same thing happened to me when I watched Band of Brothers. A good friend told me the last episode was going to leave me distraught. It turned out she thought that the 2nd to last episode where they encounter the concentration camp was the last episode. The whole time I was watching feeling nauseous and steeling myself for the next episode, terrified about what could possibly be worse than what I was watching. What a relief that last episode was after that! It did spare me some emotional agony since I wasn't as in the moment as I would have been without her warning.}

Back to Babel. A film worthy of its Oscar nominations. Highly, highly recommended.
Ok and honestly, how do those Fannings keep having such vivacious children?

Finally today I went to see Jesus Christ Superstar: The Farewell Tour.
I had never heard the music before - just the title song. I have to tell you that I thought the words were: 'Jesus Christ, Superstar. Who in the h*ll do you think you are?'
Pretty funny. But those words are sticking in my head even after seeing the show.

The production was fabulous. We had the greatest seats, quite close to the stage - though that served to show us why it was the Farewell Tour! Ted Neeley is looking like an incredibly Old Messiah - though clearly a great talent, I do think it takes a particular ear to enjoy that sort of screechy, hard rock voice; he made me think of Jack Black quite often. Here is a video from his 1973 movie role - you have to wait until 2:07 to hear what I am talking about.

Judas' voice was goosebump-raising phenomenal. Mary was excellent - her voice was sweet without making you cringe (if you know what I mean).

True to Lloyd Webber form the songs are catchy, fun and singable. I had to download much of the soundtrack while I am posting. Go here for a sample of the old ALW magic. I had been worried that it was slightly blasphemous to see a religious musical, but then I remembered how much I enjoyed Joseph & The Amazingly Long Title (Donny Osmond - I saw it as a cynical teen and was blown away) and am glad I went.

Pretty crazy week - I am looking forward to a much quieter week with more time to knit!

Labels:

Posted by Miss Scarlett @ 10:18 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Thanks for the review on Babel - can't wait to see it (although it may be a while until we get it here).

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:27 AM #
 

Sorry about your work environment. It sounds like the place I used to work for. Vile and full of frustrated people.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 8:15 AM #
 

I saw a high school production of Jesus Christ Superstar. I had absolutly no idea of what was going on, but I loved it anyways. Great songs! As for Babel, what is it about? I watched all the award shows but none of them really summerized the plot.

Posted by Blogger Leah @ 8:54 AM #
 

Hope this coming week goes better for you....

Posted by Blogger yarnmaniac @ 11:21 AM #
 

I am embarassed to admit it but when I was a kid I too thought those were the words to Jesus Christ Superstar:) I remembered I wouldn't even allow myself to think past that part..Superstar. I still don't know the correct words. Go figure.
Really hope you get to feeling better and work gets a little more relaxed for you. Now is a great time to get some knitting time in. Take care!

Posted by Blogger KnitPastis @ 6:00 PM #
 

Hey KnitPastis.
The real words are: Jesus Christ, Superstar.
Do you think you're who they say you are?

I think our words make more sense - and they are more fun to sing!

Posted by Blogger Miss Scarlett @ 12:08 AM #
 

Oh my gosh, your work-week sounds like a week from hell - I sincerely hope that all these problems calmed down by now and you can now do what you have to do - feel better again and take care of yourself!
Thank you so much for your movie recommendations - I haven't been to the theatre in ages and actually hardly ever have a clue what to watch and what not - but your reviews sure helped me to sort things out a bit! I think I'll just have to go to see the DiCaprio film, and yay for Babel, I can't wait to see it!
I've once seen a highly amazing musical version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" here in Innsbruck - that was ages ago so I can't remember who it was that performed it, but I was totally blown away! I'm such a hippie at heart, and the songs as well as the performance were so awesome!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 12:57 AM #
 

Thanks for the heads up on the movies - I really want to see them, hopefully I will get to it before the oscars.

Posted by Blogger KeanaLee @ 10:00 AM #
 
<< Home

Listening

Grey's Anatomy

Buttons
(I know, I know tasteless)

Reading

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
HP and the Philosopher's Stone

Viewing


Sopranos - Season 3


Rome Season 2

Stashalong Goals Met

1. Sizzle
4. Darling
7. Mary Janes
8. Absorba
9. Felted Oregon Tote
12. Purple Roving Scarf
13. Le Slouch
14. Uniscarfity

On My Needles

Anemoi Mittens

Baby Blankie

Blanket of Many Colours

Cotillion Socks

Laura Tee

Ravenclaw House Scarf

Severus Snape Gentleman's Fancy Socks

Surprise Baby Gift

Up Next

Bathrobes x1: Seth
Seed Stitch Noro Hat: Me
Kidlet Socks: SP9

Patterns & Shops

  • Alchemic Dragon
  • Dishcloth Boutique
  • Kitty Pi
  • kpixie
  • KnitPicks
  • Knitty
  • Perchance To Knit
  • Shelby's Designs
  • Spunky Eclectic
  • stopsandstarts
  • Toe-up Jaywalkers
  • Hints & Help

  • Socks 101
  • Archives

    KnittnFool: In a bloody big nutshell