Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Power of Magical Thinking


When I was young I had a prevailing belief in magic. (Narnia was real - it was my closet that was failing me - I needed a wardrobe. )

My imagination was peopled with fairies, talking animals, secret companions, other worlds and languages.

I spent hour upon hour setting up elaborate homes and kingdoms in my bedroom, backyard, grandparents basement, and the forest.

I seemed to find outside proof of magic's existence, or at least its past existence, all around me. At a very young age this statue outside our local Art Gallery convinced me that there were indeed Unicorns. There were more than enough books and stories to support my belief in other magical beings. I was a frequent visitor to the Library, both downtown, and at school.

This magical thinking allowed me to thrive in a very unhappy childhood home. I find that it is still comforting to me today. I read The Hobbit each Fall etc.

I am thinking about magic tonight because, as you may have seen, I added progress boxes to my sidebar. What does that have to do with magic you ask?

HTML code, uploading, downloading, hosting. I do it but I do not understand it. It is magic to me that I type in some letters and symbols in a prescribed fashion and it becomes images and words that can be viewed around the world.

Don't even get me started on faxes, telephones or radio. It is all beyond my ken.

I am grateful for everyday magic and for the magical thinking of inventors, explorers and creators the world over!

Labels:

Posted by Miss Scarlett @ 12:24 AM

Listening

Grey's Anatomy

Buttons
(I know, I know tasteless)

Reading

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
HP and the Philosopher's Stone

Viewing


Sopranos - Season 3


Rome Season 2

Stashalong Goals Met

1. Sizzle
4. Darling
7. Mary Janes
8. Absorba
9. Felted Oregon Tote
12. Purple Roving Scarf
13. Le Slouch
14. Uniscarfity

On My Needles

Anemoi Mittens

Baby Blankie

Blanket of Many Colours

Cotillion Socks

Laura Tee

Ravenclaw House Scarf

Severus Snape Gentleman's Fancy Socks

Surprise Baby Gift

Up Next

Bathrobes x1: Seth
Seed Stitch Noro Hat: Me
Kidlet Socks: SP9

Patterns & Shops

  • Alchemic Dragon
  • Dishcloth Boutique
  • Kitty Pi
  • kpixie
  • KnitPicks
  • Knitty
  • Perchance To Knit
  • Shelby's Designs
  • Spunky Eclectic
  • stopsandstarts
  • Toe-up Jaywalkers
  • Hints & Help

  • Socks 101
  • Archives

    KnittnFool: The Power of Magical Thinking