Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mama's got a Brand New Bag!



I am excited. It is like whole new vista has been opened before me! I learned how to knit with 5 Double Pointed Needles this weekend. AND it was not all that hard. My fingertips are a little raw, the progress is slow going but it is so much fun. I am amazed at what a sense of accomplishment learning new skills can bring.

I started my first ever pair of socks
with my own hand dyed yarn. Now I know that I am not even halfway through the cuff, and nowhere close to that tricky heel turning bit, but maybe it won't be as bad as I have read. Famous last words right?
(Sorry Socky is so blurry - could not for the life of me get a decent pic of her - could be her complexion - seemed the wood table doubled her orange patina - maybe an outdoor shot next time)

The tiny, tiny, tiny-ness of the needles is shocking. I would never have known you could be creating patterns on such flimsy little bits of plastic - and my Aunt's beading needles are even smaller.

I am also totally intrigued with the square = a circle when you use double pointed needles. Who, tell me who first discovered such a thing? I am in awe.

So, I barely got the socks started when I got the news that my very pregnant cousin's baby has descended and could deliver any day now. Of course I dropped the socks and started the baby hat. It is so precious. The yarn has this little irridescent thread running throughout that is so sweet. I was hoping to finish it tonight and start a matching Bolero (from the same book) but there was so much exciting TV tonight - so many times I had to put those needles down. And at least once when I DROPPED my needles and actually screamed!
Preston Burke has been shot?!?! NOOOOOOOO.

Knitting and television might be a bad match after all. Knitting relaxes. Season finales can be distressing!

Kira nearly jumped out of her skin when I yelled. I am not sure she recovered from my reaction to
Libby being shot last week and now Preston! When Libby was shot I was just passing through the room from the garden, it was on early and I was planning to watch at 9 when I saw it. I screamed and Kira leapt from the couch barking and growling, ran out the back door and into the yard frantically looking for the cause of my distress - likely she was expecting her nemesis, Bad Cat, or better yet, a squirrel. She was on high alert for about half an hour after that.

Well. I need to get some rest before tomorrow night's episodes - or my episodes, whichever is more entertaining.

Labels:

Posted by Miss Scarlett @ 11:46 PM

Listening

Grey's Anatomy

Buttons
(I know, I know tasteless)

Reading

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
HP and the Philosopher's Stone

Viewing


Sopranos - Season 3


Rome Season 2

Stashalong Goals Met

1. Sizzle
4. Darling
7. Mary Janes
8. Absorba
9. Felted Oregon Tote
12. Purple Roving Scarf
13. Le Slouch
14. Uniscarfity

On My Needles

Anemoi Mittens

Baby Blankie

Blanket of Many Colours

Cotillion Socks

Laura Tee

Ravenclaw House Scarf

Severus Snape Gentleman's Fancy Socks

Surprise Baby Gift

Up Next

Bathrobes x1: Seth
Seed Stitch Noro Hat: Me
Kidlet Socks: SP9

Patterns & Shops

  • Alchemic Dragon
  • Dishcloth Boutique
  • Kitty Pi
  • kpixie
  • KnitPicks
  • Knitty
  • Perchance To Knit
  • Shelby's Designs
  • Spunky Eclectic
  • stopsandstarts
  • Toe-up Jaywalkers
  • Hints & Help

  • Socks 101
  • Archives

    KnittnFool: Mama's got a Brand New Bag!