Friday, April 21, 2006

H is for...

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

This is a picture of Garibaldi Lake. An overnight hike from my living room. Those mountains have been a part of my daily life since I was 3.
I grew up in this lush temperate rain forest, surrounded by water and mountains.

Images like the one above make me love celebrations like Earth Day. Make me embrace change - even small changes. Changes for the good that is. Surely they all add up.

Today at work I took the children I share my daily life with on an Earth Day walk - with compromise. We cleaned up 9 bags of garbage between our building and 7-11 while we passed 3 garbage cans, 2 garbage bins and 2 cardboard recycling bins. All of the children commented on their frustration that no one appeared to be using the garbage bins - that were right there. The compromise came in purchasing Slurpees for all of the Earth Day cleaners. Sugar and food dye in waxed paper cups with 3 different kinds of plastic just for each straw. I didn't say a word. After all it was their idea to go on a garbage walk. You can only change things one action at a time.

After we got back we planted 2 small trees in our yard and used our new composters for the first time.

Tomorrow I will purchase some native plants from a local backyard nursery to add to my garden.

I will walk my dog in the clean fresh air and maybe even hike in the woods. I will rejoice at being alive.

And maybe, just maybe do a little knitting.

How will you celebrate Earth Day?

Posted by Miss Scarlett @ 11:24 PM

Listening

Grey's Anatomy

Buttons
(I know, I know tasteless)

Reading

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
HP and the Philosopher's Stone

Viewing


Sopranos - Season 3


Rome Season 2

Stashalong Goals Met

1. Sizzle
4. Darling
7. Mary Janes
8. Absorba
9. Felted Oregon Tote
12. Purple Roving Scarf
13. Le Slouch
14. Uniscarfity

On My Needles

Anemoi Mittens

Baby Blankie

Blanket of Many Colours

Cotillion Socks

Laura Tee

Ravenclaw House Scarf

Severus Snape Gentleman's Fancy Socks

Surprise Baby Gift

Up Next

Bathrobes x1: Seth
Seed Stitch Noro Hat: Me
Kidlet Socks: SP9

Patterns & Shops

  • Alchemic Dragon
  • Dishcloth Boutique
  • Kitty Pi
  • kpixie
  • KnitPicks
  • Knitty
  • Perchance To Knit
  • Shelby's Designs
  • Spunky Eclectic
  • stopsandstarts
  • Toe-up Jaywalkers
  • Hints & Help

  • Socks 101
  • Archives

    KnittnFool: H is for...